Friday, February 24, 2017

How to Feel a Painting's Heartbeat?

    When I often observe a blank canvas before starting my new piece, I realize that I paint history. In my own definition, history is what is truly created by us; we are the history consisted of diverse snippets. Every life is a snippet, a story, that adds up to the grand history of the

 Universe. But is the story going to continue existing after one farewells with his/her life? Thus, often times, people desire to leave something significant after them, usually in a physical way. Frankly, it doesn't matter what continues living after one's dead, be it his/her donated organs, memory boxes, or an apple pie recipe. However, in my opinion, one of the objects that can breath after its creator died is a painting

   When I go to a museum I always look closely at the painting, carefully moving my sight across the canvas's surface, I see the brushstrokes that act as an engine of the painting; I can not only see, but feel the kinetic movement of the strokes which organically arrange the composition. Fuel that makes the surface appear kinetic is paint; it fires the paint setting the engine on to work as a single organism. Every brushstroke is a dedication, to what someone loved that dearly to the point when a painting is created. Every brush's movement conveys a painter by showing his charism, mood and attitudes. The artist puts his soul into this, and by such commitment lightens the hearts of his audience. 

Especially, Impressionist artists, like Claude Monet, give me a feeling that I'm able to hold a conversation with someone who passed away almost one and a half century ago. It's truly astounding, how some can master life by living a viable artifact, such as a painting, after them.

No comments:

Post a Comment